15 August, 2012

Chez Clarise



 My review of places would not be complete without showing love to ma chérie Clarise. I almost want to keep it a secret, so if you start to abuse this knowledge I’m sharing, I’ll be forced to ban you. Yes…it is that serious. This joint has the best food ever. The grilled Tilapia and attiéke is to die for…and I won’t try to convince you any further, the truth is in the poisson. I had it once and was sold…addicted…I’m talking intervention ish…twice a week, can’t wait for the weekend.


I’ve learnt to control my urge now…but that food though….*licks lips, fingers…* you get my drift.
When people ask how I found this gem, I literally have to tell them a funny story. 3 of us with directions to 2 apparently different places end up at the same spot, known by different names and I had to wait over an hour for my food and it was worth it. Initially behind the old MTN plot, now “consar”, was a grill and some plastic chairs…and I’m assuming the plastic chairs belonged to the drinking spot that operated out of the ground floor of the proprietor’s home. Standard procedure was to get drinks from the spot (what was it called?!!??) then place your order with one of the sassy Ivorian waitress/cooks. And from that grill came succulent, deliciously spiced Tilapia or chicken with a side of attieke or banku and 2 sauces. It took an average of an hour to get you food, so ordering ahead was highly encouraged, and really hasn’t changed since Clarise moved to her new spot near the old American Embassy. The old spot still serves food and I’m told it’s still as good, but this write up is about Chez Clarise.

Now, if a taxi driver asks if you’re sure about where you’re going when you alight…u need to know you’re in a very shady spot…and due to the construction, Chez Clarise can literally be described as being in a hole in the war of a very shady corner. It’s actually pretty close to Epo’s and the old American embassy just up the road opposite the new Bata store on the CTK side of 6th street, off Oxford st. Initially, there was sand for an interesting beach feel, but I guess people complained so now it’s cemented and tiled. It’s still plastic tables and chairs and you might have to wait and hour for your food, but you’ll have a roof over your head. An old school band used to play sometimes and an improv reggae duo passed through the last time, so I guess it full of surprises. The menu is the same and now she serves her own drinks; your basic coke, sprite, star etc, and surprisingly wine in keeping with the francophone-ness of it all. Bowls of water and soap are provided for you to wash your hands before and after and you can get some cutlery if you ask for it. It’s a very relaxed atmosphere, anything goes, but don’t try to outdress Clarise…’cos you’ll fail. You will definitely be satisfied and planning your next trip there before the end of the meal.
The music is usually francophone (zouk) but don’t be surprised to hear either Azonto or Whitney Houston, the staff are really sweet and it might be a little frustrating to get over the language barrier but let’s look at it this way…you know how one of your friends is always on about "FranÇais" this "comment allez vous" that…well, a good dose of Chez Clarise is what this doctor is ordering. He or She will either come through and make for a smooth dinning process or…you’ll have something to laugh about for life.
*If you’re wondering why I haven’t spoken about the washroom facilities…it’s because I haven’t been…so lets just leave that there.

No comments:

Post a Comment